What Is Backlinks
Backlinks are an essential part of SEO (search engine optimization). Simply put, backlinks are the links that are used to reach your website from other sites online. These are also often referred to as in-links or incoming links.
Just as you may have links on your site to other sites, backlinks are the ways that your site can be found throughout the internet. Aside from search engines, this is a very important part of your marketing program on their very own.
But the real magic takes place when search engines find :
This is probably most important to your website because they help to indicate how popular your site is—and this, in turn, may help with your search engine rankings dramatically.
Of course, the search engine rating process is complex and uses many variables to help determine your ranking. Some search engines use the number of backlinks in the rating process. The more links you have, the better the ranking will likely be. While ranking is not based on this alone, it is a major factor in most of the popular search engines.
Backlinks are also an important part of any online marketing program for the exposure they provide. The more links that you have to your site, the more traffic you’ll be able to drive to your website. The more traffic you can get to visit your website, the more money you can make by selling your products or services.
What about reciprocal links?
Reciprocal links are an easy and free way to get more potential customers to your site and should still be taken seriously. However, it’s apparent that many popular search engines are no longer giving them much weight.
That said—the best links are those that are between sites that are in the same or similar type of business as yours. For example, if you have a site that sells gardening tools, your backlinks would be well-placed on a site that sells garden plants.
Here are some additional important things to keep in mind:
- The best backlinks are from other sites within your industry.
- Find other websites and make a list of those you’d like to link with.
- Having quality backlinks will improve your search engine ranking.
- Reciprocal linking is a great way to use the marketing efforts of others to help your own website.
- Think of innovative places to put your links online—plenty of great options out there!
- Consider using forums, blogs, and social networks to place for your site for free.
- Review your backlinks online to see which ones are working for you.
That’s about it for now!